05 September 2007

the true test of a marriage

Bill and I have now been through two moves: two apartments to Tucson house and Tucson house to Phoenix Apartment. In February, we'll do our third move into the Phoenix house. These past three weeks we also helped my parents move into their remodeled home--not sure if these two events coinciding was a good or bad thing.

Over these past three weekends of moving, I've learned a great deal about the way engineers operate--or don't, as the case may be (there are definite pros and cons here). My mom and I decided to leave the heavy lifting, as well as the truck loading coordination up to the engineers. PS My dad and Bill are both aero engineers. (An aside: my friend and I were talking about my dad and Bill both being engineers and she said, "oh, you married your dad," and I said, "well, not really, Bill is more like this generation dad--like dad 2.0.)

Pros: Being painfully process- and detail-oriented ensures a highly redundant process of redundancies.

Cons: This highly redundant process is EXTREMELY time consuming. Pointing this out to the engineers is HIGHLY annoying to them and further delays the highly redundant process.

Question: how long does it take to figure out how to load a refrigerator? Answer: you want the job done right, don't you? You don't want the furniture to arrive in a million pieces, do you? It's true, the items arrived without a scratch....

Much to our dismay, my parents haven't thrown away a thing in the past twenty years. I wish I had a picture of this, but our camera is on the fritz: at one point we came across one of their boxes that was marked "junky chandelier." As opposed to the nice chandelier, I guess.

Anyway, we're finished with our move and
it was very sad to leave our first home... you only get one first home.

1 comment:

matt said...

Congrats on the progress!! -Holly