Well, it appears that the baby is now the length of a leek, because I'm quite sure that she's not as skinny as a leek. And, also, I've noticed that there are only two other veggies left in these veggie chronicles: a mini watermelon and a small pumpkin (fabulous). She's somewhere around 7 pounds now and 19.5 inches. I had my doctor appointment yesterday and I asked her some questions about induction since I've been hearing all kinds of stories about what can be done to accelerate this process (naturally, that is). We discussed stripping membranes, which she did a teeny bit of, but stopped because it was kind of painful, as well as other ideas like walking, castor oil, etc.The baby has also descended a bit more and is now at station 1-2. Here's what I learned about stations: The station is based on how far down the head has dropped in relation to two bony prominences (called the ischial spines ) that mark the midpelvis (halfway out). In a pelvic exam, the examiner can feel where these spines are, protruding from the pelvic sidewalls. Then, the position of the "presenting part," i.e., that part of the baby that will be the first to deliver, is felt as compared to the ischial spines. If the very top of the head is at the ischial spines, it's called a zero station. And for every centimeter distance from the spines, either above or below, the presenting part can be said to be anywhere between -3 and +3. "-3" is 3 cm. above the ischial spines. +3 is 3 cm below the ischial spines, and, well, you better call the because that baby's about to deliver!
So, it seems things are progressing nicely. I've got another heart monitor visit at the hospital on TH and then nothing again until next week.


No comments:
Post a Comment